Innovation in Agriculture
and Livestock Production

People at the center

70% of greenhouse gas emission related to the world food system stem from agricultural production or from the change in soil use. The remaining 30% come from processing, packaging and transport. Our current use of land and water systems in agriculture is unsustainable. Water is increasingly scarce, often leading farmers to draw water from underground aquifers suffering from over-abstraction and agricultural and industrial pollution. The salinization of water and soils is also on the rise.

Any initiative related to agriculture and livestock production, in any production system, must aim at an optimal use of natural resources. An environmental impact assessment ought to be included in its design as well as a risk prevention plan in order to have all necessary measures in place to prevent degradation of natural resources.

Various options exist to improve land, soil, and water management while enhancing productivity in a sustainable way and creating decent jobs opportunities at the same time. This involves among others the fostering of better governance of natural resources, adopting new water and soil management strategies, or improving access to technological innovations. Nature-based solutions, agroforestry, precision farming, utilizing unconventional water sources all hold significant promise as well. There are many more.

People at the core: Social innovation plays a crucial role by fostering creative solutions. The integration of technology, community-driven initiatives, and novel business models will enhance efficiency, productivity, and resilience. By encouraging inclusivity, knowledge-sharing, and community engagement, social innovation in agriculture and livestock sector development has the potential to transform or improve traditional practices when needed, mitigate challenges such as climate change and resource scarcity, and contribute to building more resilient and equitable food systems.

Collaborative efforts among stakeholders, including producers, researchers, and policymakers, are essential for the successful implementation of social innovations.

We are eager to engage in discussions on these critical issues.